Forests not only important for wild life but it acts very important role in human life. Forestry is the science of the development and care of forests; the management of growing timber. Forestry or forest management is considered as both independent scientific branch and practical field, containing many aspects of forestry, which formulates synthetic conclusions indicating the main directions of management. Forestry is the art and science of managing forests, tree plantations, and related natural resources. The main emphasis in forestry is given on creating and implementing systems that allow forests to continue a sustainable continuation of environmental supplies and services. It is engaged in formation of relation between nature and the man on the basis of knowledge of forest state, demand society for forest functions as well as scientific achievements and experience in solving the problems of running and organic structure of forest. Issues like global warming, deforestation, global climatic change, water scarcity, natural disasters, etc, are all related to the effective and controlled use of forest wealth. Forest resources are very important for us.
Due to environmental crises demand of forestry professionals is increase. The profession of forestry has experienced rapid and perceptible changes in the last years. What used to be considered as a business and a responsibility of the local villagers has turned into a field of global concern where the preservation and conservation of biodiversity play a main role.
- B. Sc Forestry
- M. Sc Forestry
- B. Sc Wildlife
- M. Sc Wildlife
- M. Sc Wood Science & Tech.
- PG Diploma in Forestry
- Forestry Management
- PhD in Forestry
One can specialize in subjects like:
- Forest Economics
- Agriculture economics
- Agriculture statistics
- Agro forestry
- Forest products
- Soil sciences
- Commercial Forest
- Waste management
A graduate course (B.Sc. Forestry /B.Sc Wildlife) should be taken after 10+2 in subjects such as : Agriculture, Economics, Geology, Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics, Mechanical Engineering or Environmental Sciences or Forestry for entry.Those with Physics, Chemistry and Biology at the intermediate level can go for B.Sc Forestry course, which is a 3-year degree course. Graduate degree is required for M.Sc. course (2 years). The Indian Institute of Forest Management (IIFM), Nehru Nagar, Bhopal offers a study program in Forest Management for this course graduate degree(in any stream) is required. For Ph.D in Forestry, M.Sc. degree is required.
State forest officials are recruited by State Public Service Commissions of the respective states and also through IFS exam conducted by UPSC. Forest rangers examination is conducted at state level by the Staff Selection Commissions. Eligibility for this examination is graduation with science subjects. There are jobs in research institutes of forestry and private sector companies which are involved in forest related products.
One can work as Education sector as tutors, Zoological Parks, Wildlife Ranges, forest ranger, Anthologist, Dendrologist, Entomologists, zoo qurator etc. Foresters can work in offices, laboratories or outdoors depending on their field of specialization. Governmental, non-governmental organizations interested in preservation of forest resources. Corporate having own plantations for timbering, Industries that utilize forest resources employ industrial and agricultural consultants, Indian Council Of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE) and its affiliated Forestry research institutes such as Forest Research Institute, Dehra Dun, Institute of Social Forestry and Eco-rehabilitation, Allahabad etc. Wildlife Research Institutes in Dehra Dun, Coimbatore etc.
Entry into the Central government is through the Indian Forest Service (IFS) examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission www.upssc.ac.in or www.upsc.org.in. Applicants with a graduate degree in animal husbandry and veterinary science, botany, chemistry, geology, mathematics, physics, statistics, zoology, agriculture, forestry or engineering, and between 21 years and 30 years of age are eligible to apply. They are then posted as the assistant conservator, district conservator, conservator, chief conservator, principal conservator, and the inspector general of forests. The senior most post is that of the Environment Secretary in the Union Government
In the government sector, the starting salary is per government pay scales between
Rs 25,000 to 50,000. It increases with time and education. Indian Forests Service officials
are also entitled to accommodation, official vehicle, telephone and other government
allowances. Those with qualification in forest management find jobs with multinationals,
Indian firms, NGOs can expect to get a salary of Rs20000 to Rs40,000 per month
B.Sc. (Forestry) or Bachelor of Science in Forestry is an undergraduate Forestry and Wildlife course of 4 years. This is related to forest which is a wing of agriculture but it is different in some way from agriculture. Forestry is the art and science of managing forests, tree plantations, and related natural resources. The main emphasis in forestry is given on creating and implementing systems that allow forests to continue a sustainable continuation of environmental supplies and services. The course is divided into 8 semesters. The primary emphasis of this Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Forestry programme is to impart theoretical and practical knowledge in all the areas of forestry. After passing the course, they can go for further Master Degree and also for research work
Candidates should have passed in higher secondary (10+2) or equivalent from a recognised Board / Council / University, in science stream with Biology as a main subject.
One can work as Auditor – Forestry, Farming Manager, Teacher & Lecturer, Assistant Manager – Forestry / Wildlife, Nursery Manager, Credit Manager – Retail Agri. Credit. They can find jobs in industries that utilise forest resources employ industrial and agricultural consultants. Applicants have also good job scopes in Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE) and its affiliated Forestry research institutes such as Forest Research Institute, Dehra Dun, Institute of Social Forestry and Eco-rehabilitation, Allahabad etc. They can also go for further Master Degree and then for research studies, Candidates also find career opportunities in Zoological Parks and Wildlife Ranges.
In the government sector, the starting salary is per government pay scales between Rs 25,000 to 50,000. It increases with time and education. Indian Forests Service officials are also entitled to accommodation, official vehicle, telephone and other government allowances. Those with qualification in forest management find jobs with multinationals, Indian firms; NGOs can expect to get a salary of Rs 20000 to Rs 40,000 per month.
M.Sc. Forestry or Master of Science in Forestry is two years’ postgraduate Forestry and Wildlife course which is a specialized course related to Forestry and Wildlife. The degree course covers the areas of research for the students include silvi-culture, seed technology, agro-forestry, tree physiology, tree genetics, tree breeding, tree tissue culture, forest management, wood science, wildlife etc. Forestry is the art and science of tree resources, including plantations and natural stands. The main goal of forestry is to create and implement systems that allow forests to continue a sustainable provision of environmental supplies and services. M.Sc. in Forestry is a two year programme (four semesters) with opportunities of specialisation in three disciplines of forestry viz., Silvi-culture and Agro-forestry, Tree Physiology and Breeding and Wildlife Science is offered by the College of Forestry. And minimum time to pass it is two years.
The minimum qualification for taking admission in M.Sc, the students should have passed the degrees of B.Sc. (Forestry), B.Sc. (Ag), B.Sc. (Hort), B.Tech. (Hort), B.Tech. (Ag. Biotech.).
Forest experts can find a lot of jobs in various sectors of timber and plywood manufacturing firms. They can also find jobs in laboratories or in offices in the related area.Organizations such as World Wildlife Fund and Food and Agricultural Organization etc are extending various opportunities for professionals in this field. They can become forester who is responsible for protecting and regenerating forests, protecting wildlife habitats, checking for and fighting wild fires, landscape management and so on. One can work as Ethologist, National Sales Manager-Agri Machinery, Sales / Business Development Officer, Field Investigator, Dendrologists, Forest Range Officers, Foresters Silviculturist, Zoo Curator, Entomologist etc.
In the government sector, the starting salary is per government pay scales between
Rs 25,000 to 50,000. It increases with time and education. Indian Forests Service officials are also entitled to accommodation, official vehicle, telephone and other government allowances. Those with qualification in forest management find jobs with multinationals, Indian firms, NGOs can expect to get a salary of Rs 20000 to Rs40,000 per month
- Birsa Agricultural University, Kanke , Ranchi – 6. baujharkhand.org
- Forestry Research Institute, Dehra Dun – 6. fri.icfre.gov.in
- Indian Institute of Forest Management, Nehru Nagar, Bhopal iifac.in
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneshwar – 751 003.
- Wildlife Institute of India, Chandrabani, Dehra Dun wii.gov.in
- College of Horticulture And Forestry, Solan yspuniversity.ac.in
- College Of Agricultural Engineering & Technology, Dr. Punjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth, P O Krishinagar, Akola pdkv.ac.in
- Konkan Krishi Vidyapeeth, Dapoli dbskkv.org
- Acharya N G Ranga Agricultural University, Hyderabad -30 angrau.ac.in
- Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat aau.ac.in
- Bidhan Chandra Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Mohanpur (West Bengal) bckv.edu.in/
- Birsa Agricultural University, Ranchi baujharkhand.org
- Chandra Shekhar Azad University of Agriculture and Technology, Kanpur csauk.ac.in
- Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar hau.ernet.in
- Dr Punjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth, Akola (Maharashtra) pdkv.ac.in
- Dr Yashwant Singh Parmar University of Horticulture and Forestry, Nauni, Dist. Solan (Himachal Pradesh) yspuniversity.ac.in
- Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar (Uttrakhand) gbpuat.ac.in
- Gujarat Agricultural University, Sardar Krushinagar, Dist. Banaskantha (Gujarat) 385506 sdau.edu.in
- Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Palampur (Himachal Pradesh) 176062. hillagric.ac.in
- Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Raipur (Madhy Pradesh) igau.edu.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru Vishwavidyalaya, Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh) jnkvv.nic.in
- Kerala Agricultural University, Vellanikkara, Dist. Thrissur (Kerala) kau.edu
- Konkan Krishi Vidyapeeth, Dapoli (Maharashtra) 431712 dbskkv.org
- Kurukshetra University kuk.ac.in
- Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth, Rahuri (Maharashtra) mpkv.ac.in
- Marathwada Krishi Vidyapeeth, Parbhani (Maharashtra) 431402 mkv.ac.in
- Narendra Deva University of Agriculture and Technology, Faizabad (Uttar Pradesh) nduat.in
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneshwar ouat.ac.in
- Punjab Agriculture University, Ludhiana (Punjab) pau.edu.in
- Rajasthan Agriculture University, Bikaner (Rajasthan) iabm-bikaner.org
- Rajendra Agricultural University, Pusa, pusavarsity.org.in
- Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology. skuastkashmir.ac.in
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore tnau.ac.in
- Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai tanuvas.tn.nic.in
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore uasbangalore.edu.in
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad (Karnataka) uasd.edu
- West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, Belgachia, Calcutta wbuafscl.ac.in
- Central Agricultural University, Imphal (Manipur) cau.org.in
- Allahabad Agricultural Institute (Uttar Pradesh) 211007 shiats.edu.in
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Pusa, New Delhi-12 iari.res.in
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar (Uttar Pradesh) ivri.nic.in
- National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal ndri.res.in
- Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Jaiprakash Road, Seven Bungalow, Mumbai cife.edu.in
- Forest Research Institute, PO. New Forest, Dehra Dun fri.icfre.gov.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Jabalpur jnkvv.nic.in
- National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal (Haryana) ndrires.in
- Himgiri Zee University himgirizeeuniversity.edu.in
- Shri Guru Ram Rai P.G. College Dehradun sgrrcollege.com
- IGNOU ignou.ac.in
- University of Agricultural Sciences Dharwad, Karnataka, India uasd.edu
- Doon Post Graduate College of Agriculture Science and Technology dpmc.in