Bioinformatics is a new interdisciplinary branch of Science and Technology. It is mainly the application of information technology to the management of biological data. Bioinformatics is a subpart of the larger field of computational biology, the application of quantitative analytical techniques in modeling biological systems. Bioinformatics has a key role to play in pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors it is used in reducing the time and cost involved in drug discovery process to custom design drugs and to develop personalized medicine.
- Advance Diploma in Bioinformatics 1/2/3 years
- Sc. in bioinformatics – 3 years
- Tech in bioinformatics -3 /4 years
- SC bioinformatics – 2 years
- Tech Bioinformatics – 2 years
- M. Phil.
- Ph. D.
For admission in B.Sc candidate should passed 10+2 with physics, chemistry and biology. For B.Tech in bioinformatics candidate should passed 10+2 with physics, chemistry, mathematics or biology. Eligibility to take admissions in M.Sc. candidate have passed graduation in bioinformatics/ agriculture/ MBBS/ B.Pharma/ BHMS/ BVSc. with at least 55% marks. Post graduates in life sciences and graduates in Pharmacy, Medical, Dental or in Biotech engineering are also eligible for admission to M.Tech bioinformatics. Minimum qualification for Advance diplomas in bioinformatics is post graduation in any of the subjects such as M.Sc in life sciences, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biotechnology, Biophysics, Botany, Zoology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Computer Science, Pharmacology, Agriculture, or passed M.Tech or MBBS degree.
Mode of Admission
Admissions to all postgraduate and some of the graduate courses are through all India entrance exam conducted by different national and state level universities. Candidates applying for M.SC programme are selected on the basis of their performance in the written test conducted nation-wide at multitude of centers. The M.Phil./Ph.D. candidates are short listed on the basis of written test and invited for personal interview. In addition to this, students who have qualified the CSIR/UGC/CBSE NET-JRF, DBT-JRF, ICMR-JRF, GATE examinations they can take admission in Ph. D. directly without entrance test. For JRF- qualified candidates can directly apply for the interview, and need not appear in the written entrance examination.
This is a new field of career but it is growing very fast. The jobs in this field exist mainly in private organizations. There are broad fields of jobs open for candidates having doctoral or post-doctoral experience. Candidate having Ph.D and about 2-3 years of experience are employed as Bioinformatics Scientists. Fresh Ph. D. holder candidates can work as junior Scientific Officers, Project Associate, and Project Assistant etc. A candidate also can work as a teacher at university, institute or college level.
Pay scale in the sector of Bioinformatics depends on educational qualifications and experience. In this field a fresher could get pay between Rs. 35,000/- to Rs. 60,000/- per month. Pay scale for Bioinformatics Research Associates is between Rs. 3,00,000 to 4, 50, 000. A Group Leader in Multinationals companies gets a pay scale of Rs 6,50,000 to 8, 50,000 per annum.
- Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology Bangalore ibab.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi iitd.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur iitkgp.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur iitk.ac.in
- Madurai Kamraj University mkuniversity.org
- University of Pune unipune.ac.in
- DOEACC Society doeaccgkp.edu.in
- DOEACC Society, Kolkata doeacckolkata.in
- IICT, CDAC, JNTU, Hyderabad iictindia.org
- Indian Institute of Information Technology Allahabad iiita.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Information Technology Hyderabad iiit.ac.in
- Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology Bhopal manit.ac.in
- National Institute of Technology Rourkela nitrkl.ac.in
- JNU, New Delhi jnu.ac.in
- West Bengal University of Technology wbut.ac.in
- University of Hyderabad unohyd.ernet.in
- Calcutta University Kolkata -73, caluniv.ac.in
- Bharathiar University, School of Biotechnology,Coimbatore-46 Tamilnadu bharathiaruniv.ac.in
- Pondicherry University, Bioinformatics Centre, School of Life Sciences, Pondicherry bicpu.edu.in
- Jamia Milia Islamia University, Department of Computer Science, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi jmi.nic.in
- National Institute of Technology, Durgapur nitdgp.ac.in
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur nitrr.ac.in
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad mnnit.ac.in