Physiotherapy is a branch of medical science in which treatments are given through massage, physical exercises and various other techniques. The history of Physiotherapy or Physical Therapy is related to ancient Greece mainly in the era of Hippocrates. Physiotherapy is one of the oldest methods to cure various physical pains and other defects by simple massage, and now it has multiple and specialized applications. This therapy helps to a person to fit both physically and mentally. It is very effective in treatment diseases related to bones and muscles. This treatment is applicable on any age group person. It acted main role to turn in general condition to an accidental person. Sports persons always required physiotherapist. This therapy is so useful because it has no any side effect.
- Diploma in Physiotherapy (DPT) of two and half years with internship.
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT) of four and half years with internship.
- Master of Physiotherapy (MPT) of two/three years
- PhD in Physiotherapy of three years duration.
Candidates who have completed 17 years of age and passed the 10+2 or equivalent examination, with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English are eligible to apply for Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT) course. Eligibility for Master of Physiotherapy (MPT) course is 50 % marks in BPT with completion of six months internship. After the study of Masters degree course a candidate can do research work (Ph.D.)in physiotherapy.
Master in Physiotherapy (MPT) course is available in various branches some of them are following:
This is one of the demanding specializations concerned with sports related injury, maintenance of fitness as well as improvement of sports strategy.
Neurological physiotherapy is related with disorders of the nervous system. A neurological physiotherapists assess the impact of neurological conditions and neurological trauma on patients’ normal bodily functions and movements.
These therapists are specialized in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of infants, children, and adolescents with a variety of congenital, developmental, neuromuscular, skeletal, or acquired disorders or diseases.
This mainly related with the function of the cardio respiratory system. This branch includes increasing endurance and functional independence.
This is the most common area of this field which is concerned with muscles, bones and joints. It involves treating acute or chronic conditions such as arthritis, bursitis, spasms, sprains, strains, and tendonitis, and improved rehabilitation following injury or surgery. Orthopedic physiotherapists diagnose, manage, and treat disorders and injuries of the musculoskeletal system as well as rehabilitation after orthopedic surgery.
Other branches of specialization in physiotherapy are also available like, Rehabilitation, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Manual therapy, Gynecology, movement science, bio mechanics, neurological science etc.
Career in Physiotherapy is a very good decision because the scopes in this field covers very wide and offer numerous job options. People face common muscular skeletal problems due to the mechanization lifestyles, which creates many problems such as backache, stiff shoulders and neck, osteoarthritis knee etc. Physiotherapy can be considered a health profession of such problems. Physical therapists can do job in Hospitals, residential homes, rehabilitation centers, nursing homes, community health care centers, private practices, private clinics, etc. A candidate with higher qualification in physiotherapy can work at out-patient clinics, primary health care centers, fitness centers, health clubs and Senior citizen centers, etc. Career options for physiotherapists are also bright in various sports centers, sport academy, working in foreign countries with companies, N.G.Os, etc. Teaching is also a good job option for physiotherapists.
There is a great demand of sports physiotherapists in foreign countries like USA, Canada, Australia, India, U.K. etc.
Student who have qualification in physiotherapy are also required to have soft skills such as communications, critical thinking skills and teamwork, etc. to get a job in various places. After completing graduation in physiotherapy (BPT) a person can earn salary Rs 25000 to Rs 80,000 per month. The earning of this field is increases with experience and qualification. An experienced physiotherapist can earn up to Rs 1, 00,000 per month or even more. Salary of physiotherapists varies from Rs 50,000 to Rs 2, 00,000 per month in some foreign countries like USA, Canada, UAE, and Australia etc.
- Apollo College of Physiotherapy apollocollegedurg.com
- Bihar College of Physiotherapy Patna bcpo.co.in
- Department of Physiotherapy, Guru Jambheshwar University, Hisar, gju.ernet.in
- Department of Physiotherapy, Punjabi University, Patiala punjabiuniversity.ac.in
- Department of Physiotherapy, Manipal College of Allied Health Science, KMC, Manipal, manipal.edu
- Department of Sports Medicine and Physiotherapy, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, gndu.ac.in
- Institute of Physically Handicapped, New Delhi. iphnewdelhi.in
- Indian Institute of Health Education and Research iihmr.org
- J. Pandya College of Physiotherapy, Sumandeep Vidyapeeth University, Vadodara. www.sumandeepuniversity.co.in
- Nitte College of Physiotherapy, KS hedge Medical College, Deralakatte, Mangalore nitte.ac.in
- National Institute of Rehabilitation Training and Research nirtar.nic.in
- Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences nims.ap.nic.in
- Patna Medical College Patna Bihar patnamedicalcollege.com
- Pravara College of Physiotherapy, PO Loni BK, Ahmednagar pravara.com
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Institute for Physically Handicapped www.iphnewdelhi.in
- School of Physiotherapy, S S G Hospital Gujarat