Engineering is the application of mathematics and science to create something of value from our natural resources. It is a branch of science, which deals with innovation and creation. Engineering means the creation of things. All things around us are created by engineers. Engineering plays the main role in the life of human being and living organism Engineers work with structures, tools, chemicals, metals etc. They repair, modify and build the hardware of life by using their technical skills and scientific principles.
- Diploma Course –3 years diploma course in Engineering.
- BE / B.Tech – 4-year graduate degree course in Engineering.
- Tech –2-year master degree in Engineering.
- D. – Doctoral program in Engineering.
Branches of Engineering
- Architecture Engineering
- Automobile Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Ceramics Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Genetic Engineering
- Leather Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Plastic Technology
- Textile Engineering
- Robotic Engineering
- Ocean Technology
- Petroleum Eng.
- Highway Engineering
For Diploma in Engineering, minimum qualification is 10th class examination with at least 50% marks. Various polytechnics offer diploma in various branches of engineering.
Minimum qualification for bachelor degree course (B.E. or B.Tech) is to pass 12 class board examination with at least 50% marks (60% for IITs) in the science stream with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. Diploma holders in Civil engineering can also get direct admission into second year of Civil engineering.
Minimum qualification for master degree course (M.E. or M.Tech) is the bachelor degree program in Civil engineering is required. For Ph.D. minimum qualification is M.E./M.Tech in Civil engineering.
There is also the Associate Membership Examination of the Institute of Engineers (AMIE), which enables working people in the private and public sector, or diploma holders to acquire a Bachelor’s engineering degree through distance education.
Mode of Admission
An entrance examination JEEMAIN is conducted by CBSE every year for admission in B. E. / B. Tech and B.Arch in all IITs and NIITs located all over the country. For more see www.cbse.nic.in or www.jeemain.nic.in . States are conducted separate entrance examinations for admission to the colleges situated in that state.
Mode of Admission
There are many engineering entrance examinations main competitive exams include:
- There is a joint Entrance exam of the IITs (JEE MAIN ) for admission to the Institutes of Technology (IITs) and NIITs is conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) for admission to Engineering, Architecture and Planning degree courses in different engineering colleges and institutes in India. All the 20 National Institutes of Technology (NIT), four Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIIT) and several Deemed Universities admit students on the basis of their performance in JEEMAIN. jeemain.nic.in
- There is a joint Entrance examination (After qualifying JEEMAIN) of the IITs (JEE Advance) is conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) for admission to the Institutes of Technology (IITs) at Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kharagpur, Kanpur, Roorkee and Guwahati, Institute of Technology (BHU) Varanasi, ISM Dhanbad jeemain.nic.in
- Institutes such as the Birla Institute of Technology, Pilani, Rajasthan, and at Ranchi; Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal; the Faculty of Engineering and Technology, Annamalai University, among others, also conduct separate entrance examinations.
- Gautam Buddha Technical University Lucknow (gbuptec.ac.in conducts Common Entrance Test (CET) for admission to different engineering, technological and scientific disciplines at undergraduate level programmes leading to Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) degree, for all engineering colleges of U.P.
- UTU conducts Entrance Test for admission to different engineering, technological disciplines at undergraduate level programmes leading to Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) degree, for all engineering colleges of Uttranchal State.
- Many polytechnics and vocational institutes conduct entrance examinations for admission in three-year diploma in engineering courses.
- For postgraduate admissions, the IITs admit students on the basis of the Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineers (GATE). The Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore offers a Masters program in aerospace, chemical, civil, computer science, microelectronics, signal processing, systems science and engineering, to the graduate engineers with valid GATE scores.
- Indian Institutes of Technology(IIT) at Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati,Kanpur, Kharagpur, Mumbai, Bangalore and Roorkee.IMS Dhanbad, BHU Varanasi
- I.T Delhi. www.iitd.ac.in
- I.T Roorkee. www.iitr.ac.in
- I.T Mumbai. www.iitb.ac.in
- I.T Kanpur. www.iitk.ac.in
- I.T B.H.U. www.itbhu.ac.in
- AMU Aligarh amu.ac.in
- Gautam Buddha Technical University Lucknow. uptu.ac.in
- B.S.E. Delhi www.cbse.ac.in
- B Pant University of Agriculture and Technology Pant Nagar. www.gbpant.ac.in
- Delhi College of Engineering Delhi dee.edu .
- National Physical Laboratory Delhi. nplindia.org
- Moti Lal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad. mnnit.ac.in
- Institute of Technology Roorkee. itrookee.org.dpmc.in
- Doon College of Engineering and Technology.www.
- Graphic Era University Dehradun. gea.ac.in
- NMIMS Univessitry. nmims.edu
- Bharti Vidyapeeth University Pune. bvuceopune.edu.in
- Lovely Processional University (LPU). lpu.in
- Teerthankar Mahaveer University Moradabad. tmu.ac.in
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies Dehradun. upes.ac.in
- Glocal University Saharanpur. theglocaluniversity.in
- I C F A I. University Dehradun. icfaiurnivesity.in
- Mangalmay Institute Noida. mangalmay.org
- Manav Rachna International University mriu.edu.in
- Sastra University Tharijarus Tamilnadu. sastra.edu .
- Pratap university Jaipur pratapunivessity.in
- Mangalayatan University Aligarh. mangaloyatam.edu .
- Amity University amity.edu
- Jaipur University jnujaipur.ac.in
- Manipur University manipur.edu .
- A B E S. Ghaziabad (U.P.) abecindia.com
- Krishna institute of Eng. And Tech Gaziabad kiet,edu
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad. iiita.ac.in/
- Indian Inst of Information Tech & Managt, Gwalior iiitm.ac.in/
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore iisc.ernet.in/
- Anna University, Chennai annauniv.edu
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, bitmesra.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Pilani, bits-pilani.ac.in
- Haldia Institute of Technology Haldia hithaldia.in
- Netaji Subhash Engineering College, Garia nsecollege.org/
- Institute of Jute Technology, Kolkata ijtindia.org
- Lingaya’s Inst of Managt & Tech, Faridabad lgimt.org
- JSS Academic of Tech Educa, NOIDA jssaten.ac.in/
- IEC College of Engg. and Tech, NOIDA iec.edu.in/
- Noorul Islam College of Engg, Kanyakumari niuniv.com/
- Koneru Lakshmaiah Colle of Engg., Guntur kluniversity.in/
- Acharya Institute of Technology, Bangalore acharya.ac.in
- Dayananda Sagar Coll of Engg, Bangalore dayanandasagar.edu/
- JSS Academy of Technical Education, Bangalore jssateb.ac.in/
- PES College of Engineering, Mandaya pescemandya.org
- SJ College of Engineering, Mysore sjcemysore.org/
- D. Y. Patil College of Engineering, Pune www.dypic.in
- Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Pune mitpune.com
- Yashwant Rao Chavan College of Engin, Nagpur ycce.edu
- STE Society’s College of Engineering, Pune sinhgad.edu/
- Pune Institute of Computer Technology, Pune pict.edu