Civil Engineering is the art and science of designing the infrastructure of a modern civilized society. Civil engineering is the oldest engineering. Civil engineers work as planning designing, construction, supervisor etc of any constructions of any structure. These engineers are work with the construction of roads, dams, bridges, power plants, irrigation projects, transport system, sewage disposal plants etc. It is further broken into several sub-branches like environmental engineering, geotechnical engineering, geophysics, geodesy, control engineering, structural engineering, transportation engineering, earth science, atmospheric sciences, forensic engineering, municipal or urban engineering, water resources engineering, materials engineering, coastal engineering, surveying, and construction engineering.
- Diploma Course –3-year diploma course in Civil engineering.
- BE / B.Tech – 4-year graduate degree in Civil
- B. Tech –2-year master degree Civil engineering.
- Ph. D. – Doctoral degrees in Civil engineering.
For diploma in engineering, minimum qualification is 10th class examination with at least 50% marks. Various polytechnics offer diploma in various branches of engineering.
Minimum qualification for bachelor degree course (B.E. or B.Tech) is to pass 12 class board examinations with at least 50% marks (60% for IITs) in the science stream with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. Diploma holders in Civil engineering can also get direct admission into second year of Civil engineering.
Minimum qualification for master degree course (M.E. or M.Tech) is the bachelor degree program in Civil engineering is required. For Ph.D. minimum qualification is M.E./M.Tech in Civil engineering.
There is also the Associate Membership Examination of the Institute of Engineers (AMIE), which enables working people in the private and public sector, or diploma holders to acquire a Bachelor’s engineering degree through distance education.
Mode of Admission
An entrance examination JEEMAIN is conducted by CBSE every year for admission in B. E. / B. Tech and B.Arch in all IITs and NIITs located all over the country. For more see www.cbse.nic.in or www.jeemain.nic.in . States are conducted separate entrance examinations for admission to the colleges situated in that state.
Civil engineers are work in all the major construction projects of the government like as Public Works Departments (CPWD/PWD), airports, harbors, ports, water and sewage boards, the railways, private construction companies, military, engineering services (MES), consultancy services etc. Civil engineers can get job in high profile national and international engineering projects. They can also work with companies undertaking construction projects, such as Larsen and Toubro, BHEL, Delhi Metro Rail Corporation and other Rail Metro Corporations. For holding of a gazetted post in government one needs to clear the Engineering Service Examinations, (IES) which are held annually by the U.P.S.C (www.upsc.org.in) or S.P.S.Cs.
Fresher’s can get a starting salary of Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 40,000 per month excluding other allowances. In the government sector, the salary range of diploma holders is Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 35,000 per month. Lecturers in colleges get a starting salary of Rs 30,000-Rs 50,000 a month. With more experience or as an established independent consultant one could earn more. Senior engineers can earn anywhere in between Rs 30,000 and Rs 50,000 a month. Those at management levels can earn up to Rs80, 000 or even more.
CIVIL ENGINEERING, BEST COLLEGES FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING,
- Indian Institutes of Technology(IIT) at Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Mumbai, Bangalore and Roorkee.IMS Dhanbad, BHU Varanasi
- I. I.T. Guwahati www.jeeadv.iitg.ac.in
- I. I.T Delhi. www.iitd.ac.in
- I. I.T Roorkee. www.iitr.ac.in
- I. I.T Mumbai. www.iitb.ac.in
- I. I.T Kanpur. www.iitk.ac.in
- I. I.T B.H.U. www.itbhu.ac.in
- AMU Aligarh amu.ac.in
- Gautam Buddha Technical University Lucknow. uptu.ac.in
- C. B.S.E. Delhi www.cbse.ac.in
- G. B Pant University of Agriculture and Technology Pant Nagar. www.gbpant.ac.in
- Delhi College of Engineering Delhi dee.edu
- National Physical Laboratory Delhi. nplindia.org
- Moti Lal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad. mnnit.ac.in
- Institute of Technology Roorkee. itrookee.org.dpmc.in
- Doon College of Engineering and Technology.www.
- Graphic Era University Dehradun. gea.ac.in
- NMIMS Univessitry. nmims.edu
- Bharti Vidyapeeth University Pune. bvuceopune.edu.in
- Lovely Processional University (LPU). lpu.in
- Teerthankar Mahaveer University Moradabad. tmu.ac.in
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies Dehradun. upes.ac.in
- Glocal University Saharanpur. theglocaluniversity.in
- I C F A I. University Dehradun. icfaiurnivesity.in
- Mangalmay Institute Noida. mangalmay.org
- Manav Rachna International University mriu.edu.in
- Sastra University Tharijarus Tamilnadu. sastra.edu .
- Pratap university Jaipur pratapunivessity.in
- Mangalayatan University Aligarh. mangaloyatam.edu .
- Amity University amity.edu
- Jaipur University jnujaipur.ac.in
- Manipur University manipur.edu .
- A B E S. Ghaziabad (U.P.) abecindia.com
- Krishna institute of Eng. And Tech Gaziabad kiet,edu
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad. iiita.ac.in/
- Indian Inst of Information Tech & Managt, Gwalior iiitm.ac.in/
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore iisc.ernet.in/
- Anna University, Chennai annauniv.edu
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, bitmesra.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Pilani, bits-pilani.ac.in
- Haldia Institute of Technology Haldia hithaldia.in
- Netaji Subhash Engineering College, Garia nsecollege.org/
- Institute of Jute Technology, Kolkata ijtindia.org
- Lingaya’s Inst of Managt & Tech, Faridabad lgimt.org
- JSS Academic of Tech Educa, NOIDA jssaten.ac.in/
- IEC College of Engg. and Tech, NOIDA iec.edu.in/
- Noorul Islam College of Engg, Kanyakumari niuniv.com/
- Koneru Lakshmaiah Colle of Engg., Guntur kluniversity.in/
- Acharya Institute of Technology, Bangalore acharya.ac.in
- Dayananda Sagar Coll of Engg, Bangalore dayanandasagar.edu/
- JSS Academy of Technical Education, Bangalore jssateb.ac.in/
- PES College of Engineering, Mandaya pescemandya.org
- SJ College of Engineering, Mysore sjcemysore.org/
- D. Y. Patil College of Engineering, Pune www.dypic.in
- Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Pune mitpune.com
- Yashwant Rao Chavan College of Engin, Nagpur ycce.edu
- STE Society’s College of Engineering, Pune sinhgad.edu/
- Pune Institute of Computer Technology, Pune pict.edu