Dentistry is the science of oral health and anything that is related to teeth. Being a branch of medical science, dentistry deals with maintaining good oral hygiene and a better set of teeth. As the concepts of oral hygiene and other health implications are catching up, this branch is coming of the age. So Dentists these days are assuming very important roles in the whole health care system. Dentists help in preventing and treating diseases related to the oral cavity, including the floor of the oral cavity, the ‘roof’ of the mouth, teeth, gums, tongue, etc. He can actually fashion or craft our teeth in such a way that we can get that dimpled or gummy smile so in a way he can be an artist also.
Surgical, medical and other forms of treatment too are a part of dentistry as they are with other medical branches. Dentistry also includes cosmetology, in which corrective treatment is done i.e. stained, cracked or broken teeth can be restored to their original form. A part from the routine extraction of teeth, filling, fitting dentures, surgery of mouth, replacement of extracted teeth through surgery and cleaning a patient’s mouth and teeth, the job also includes aligning and straightening teeth. Today’s dentists can provide pain-free care for our teeth and leave their pliers at home!
- B. D. S.
- M. D. S.
- Ph D.
- B. D. S.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery is a under graduate program related to dental care. This is a five year (4 year study +1 year internship) program. This provide abroad field of job. During the B.D.S Course all essential in formations are given to students and they become perfect in their field.
It is three year master degree program in dentistry. This program give specilisation in various field related to dentistry. MDS pans across three years and has within its wing nine specialties. After completing the masters course students can also go on in the field and become researchers. Recently, the Dental Council in association with IGNOU has also started a one year distance learning course in Oral Implantology and Endodontic. Students can even opt for this course after successfully completing BDS. There are also various short term courses like M.Sc or Master of Public Health that can be taken up after BDS.
3. Ph. D.
Post-doctoral dental study gives dental professionals, the opportunity to work towards specialization in the field of dentistry. The areas of postdoctoral study include the following: periodontics, endodontics, orthodontics, and oral surgery etc. The advantages of pursuing one of these areas of specialization are generally higher salaries and a more academic bent to the work. The postdoctoral study itself is quite rigorous and involves seminars, lectures, and clinical work. The following are the specialties in this field:
Endodontics: It includes the basic and clinical sciences including the biology of the normal pulp, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases and injuries of the pulp. One of the endodontists’ most frequently occurring tasks is treatment of the root canal, the removal of damaged pulp from within the root canal of a tooth and thus saving the teeth.
Periodontics: It is the study of diseases of gums and its effects and treatment.
Pedodontics: Pediatric Dentists are dedicated to the oral health of children from infancy through the teen years. They care for a child’s teeth, gums, and mouth throughout the various stages of childhood.
Prosthodontics: It’s a special branch of dentistry that concentrates all its skills and science that make mouth, teeth, and face work right, feel right, look right, and stay right.
Oral Surgery: Oral surgeons are responsible for diagnosing and treating oral disease, in particular benign and malignant tumors of the jaws, head and neck. They also perform surgeries to aid in the treatment of sleep disorders.
Orthodontics: An orthodontist is a specialist in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of dental and facial irregularities.
Candidates who have passed 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Biology, with at least 50% marks are eligible for admission in the Bachelor of Dental Science.
For an MDS degree one needs to have a BDS degree and for P. Hd. MDS degree is needed.
Mod of Admission
Admission to graduate (BDS) courses in dentistry is through a general, nationwide competitive examination. The All India Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Entrance Exam (AIPMT) www.aipmt.nic.in conducted by the CBSE in common for both the MBBS and the Bachelor of Dental Sciences (BDS) for admission to 15% seats in government medical colleges of all over India. States take PMT for admission in there recognized medical colleges. All India Institute of Medical Sciences Delhi (AIIMS), ZIPMER (Pondicherry) are taken their separate entrance test. There are also private colleges, which under the management quota admit students on an all India basis. But to be eligible for practice, one must ensure that the Dental Council of India approves the course chosen.
There are 180 questions from physics, chemistry, zoology and botany in the Entrance Test .All questions are objective type and medium of paper would English and other Indian languages. This paper is divided in to four parts and each part includes 45-45 questions from each physics, chemistry, zoology and botany. One fourth marks will cut for every wrong answer.
Syllabus for AIPMT
This test followed class 11th and 12th syllabus of C.B.S.E of physics, chemistry, zoology and botany. So N.C.E.R.T. books are very use full for this examination.
A wide range of career opportunities exist in the field of dentistry. Dental departments in hospitals, dental clinics and nursing homes need the services of dentists. Apart from this the Forensic Departments also need good dentists who are involved in identification of deceased persons through dental remains, bite mark analysis and examination of oral facial structures for determination of injury, possible malpractice or insurance fraud. Pharmaceuticals and other companies, which produce dental and oral care products, require dentists for research and advisory works. One can also take up work as a Dental Hygienist, Dental assistant or as a Dental consultant to models and film artists. Self-employment is also a lucrative avenue and one can become a private practitioner. For those with an adventurous kind of personality one can also join the Army Dental Corps. The Armed forces also recruit dentists directly. Recruitment to a government job is through UPSC and Staff Selection Commission for states. Those who are interested in teaching work can find the job of a Professor or an Associate Professor, with a required qualification, in the Dental College.
Government hospitals, freshly trained dentists could begin around Rs 25,000 to 40,000a month, while in private hospitals it could be from Rs 15,000 to Rs 50,000. Postgraduate degree holders can expect to start on Rs 50,000 to 1, 00,000 upwards.
Dental surgeons can earn good money through their own practice. The consultation charges could be Rs.5000 upwards for cosmetic filling and can be as high as Rs. 40,000 to 50,000 depending upon the experience. A well-established dentist can make around Rs. 30, 000 – 1, 00,000 or more per month.
- AIPMT cbse.nic. / www.aipmt.nic.in
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences Delhi (AIIMS) aiims.ac.in
- Armed Forces Medical College Pune afmc.nic.in
- KIIT University Bhubaneswar Odisa kiitee.ac.in / www.kiit.ac.in
- UKPMT utu.ac.in
- KG Medical University Lucknow Uttar Pradesh kgmcindia.edu
- Army College Of Dental Sciences, Secunderabad armycods.in
- Government Dental College & Hospital, Panchkula mamc.ac.in/dental.col.htm
- Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi-02, mamc.ac.in/dental.col.htm
- Goa Dental College & Hospital, Goa-05, goagov.nic.in/dtegoa/htm
- C.B.Medical College, Cuttack, Orissa-753007, www.mohfw.nic.in
- College of Dentistry, Indore 452001, (Madhya Pradesh)
- Guwahati Medical College, Guwahati 781032, (Assam) gmchassam.gov.in
- A.V. Centenary Dental College, Yamunanagar www.davdentalynr.com
- Maharshi Dayanand University Medical College mdurohtak.ac.in
- M.S.Medical College, Jaipur-01, www.smsmedicalcollege.webs.com
- R.Ahmed Dental College www.wbhealth.gov.in
- Christian Medical College, Ludhiana cmcludhiana.in
- Patna Dental College & Hospital, Agamkuan, Patna-800007, (Bihar)
- Government Dental College And Hospital, Ahmedabad-380016 (Gujarat)
- Dental College, Jamnagar-361008, (Gujarat) Admission Helpline :8800 567 711, 8800 567 733
- Rajah Muthiah Dental College & Hospital Annamalainagar 608002 (T.N.)
- Meenakshi Ammal Dental College & Hospital Alapakkam Road, Maduravoyal, Chennai 600095
- Modern Dental College & Research Centre Nainod, Gandhi Nagar, Airport Road, Indore (M.P.)
- Dental College & Hospital near T.B. Hospital Subhash Nagar, Jaipur 302016 (Raj.)
- Mahatama Gandhi National Institute of Medical Sciences, Jaipur-22 mgmch.org
- Government Dental College mamc.ac.in/dental.col.htm
- R.S. Dental College & Hospital www.brsdental.org
- Queen Marry University of London qmul.ac.uk
- University of Queensland Australia uqedu.au
- University of Sadarn California USA usc.edu
- University of Adinbara UK ed.ac.uk/home
- University of Sheffield UK sheffield.ac.uk
- University of Michigan USA umich.edu
- University of Sydney Australia usyd.edu.au
- Boston University USA bu.edu
- Newyark University USA nyu.edu
Kings College London UK www.kcl.ac.uk