Mechanical Engineering is a special branch of engineering that deals with mechanical laws of physics. Mechanical engineers are not only involved in research but in the actual design and development of machines like car engines and other forms of equipment that use mechanics to operate. Mechanical engineers can choose any one of the fields like Sales, Industrial equipment, Aerospace, Nanotechnology, Management, Materials, refrigeration etc. Mechanical Engineering is concerned with all types of machinery and all aspects of their mechanism and functioning; the design, development, construction, production, installation and operation of all mechanical systems in industries, including power plants, transport equipment, air-conditioning, boilers, refrigerators and internal combustion.
- Diploma course – 3 years course in Mechanical engineering
- E. / B.Tech – 4 year graduate degree in Mechanical engineering.
- Tech –2 year master degree in Mechanical engineering.
- D. – Doctoral degrees in Mechanical engineering.
For diploma in engineering, minimum qualification is 10th class examination with at least 50% marks. Various polytechnics offer diploma in various disciplines of engineering.
Minimum qualification for bachelor degree course (B.E. or B.Tech) is to pass 12 class board examination with at least 50% marks (60% for IITs) in the science stream with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. Diploma holders in Mechanical engineering can also get direct admission into second year of Mechanical engineering.
Minimum qualification for master degree course (M.E. or M.Tech) is the bachelor degree program in Mechanical engineering is required. For Ph.D. minimum qualification is M.E./M.Tech in Mechanical engineering.
There is also the Associate Membership Examination of the Institute of Engineers (AMIE), which enables working people in the private and public sector, or diploma holders to acquire a Bachelor engineering degree through distance education.
Mode of Admission
An entrance examination JEEMAIN is conducted by CBSE every year for admission in B. E. / B. Tech and B.Arch in all IITs and NIITs located all over the country. For more see www.cbse.nic.in or www.jeemain.nic.in . States are conducted separate entrance examinations for admission to the colleges situated in that state.
A mechanical engineer can get job in both private and public sector industries. Several government departments give jobs to mechanical engineers like Posts and Telegraphs Department, Defense, PWD, and CPWD etc. Mechanical Engineers can also work in Aeronautical, agricultural, automobile, chemical, and power plants, railways. To become a gazetted office in government one needs to clear the Engineering Service Examinations, (IES) which are held annually by the U.P.S.C (www.upsc.org.in) or S.P.S.Cs.
Fresher can get a starting salary of Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 40,000 per month excluding other allowances. In the government sector, the salary of diploma holders is Rs. 35,000 to Rs. 45,000 per month. Senior engineers can earn between Rs 50,000 to Rs 1,00,000 a month.
- Indian Institutes of Technology(IIT) at Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati,Kanpur, Kharagpur, Mumbai, Bangalore and Roorkee.IMS Dhanbad, BHU Varanasi
- I.T Delhi. www.iitd.ac.in
- I.T Roorkee. www.iitr.ac.in
- I.T Mumbai. www.iitb.ac.in
- I.T Kanpur. www.iitk.ac.in
- I.T B.H.U. www.itbhu.ac.in
- AMU Aligarh amu.ac.in
- Gautam Buddha Technical University Lucknow. uptu.ac.in
- B.S.E. Delhi www.cbse.ac.in
- B Pant University of Agriculture and Technology Pant Nagar. www.gbpant.ac.in
- Delhi College of Engineering Delhi dee.edu .
- National Physical Laboratory Delhi. nplindia.org
- Moti Lal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad. mnnit.ac.in
- Institute of Technology Roorkee. itrookee.org.dpmc.in
- Doon College of Engineering and Technology.www.
- Graphic Era University Dehradun. gea.ac.in
- NMIMS Univessitry. nmims.edu
- Bharti Vidyapeeth University Pune. bvuceopune.edu.in
- Lovely Processional University (LPU). lpu.in
- Teerthankar Mahaveer University Moradabad. tmu.ac.in
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies Dehradun. upes.ac.in
- Glocal University Saharanpur. theglocaluniversity.in
- I C F A I. University Dehradun. icfaiurnivesity.in
- Mangalmay Institute Noida. mangalmay.org
- Manav Rachna International University mriu.edu.in
- Sastra University Tharijarus Tamilnadu. sastra.edu .
- Pratap university Jaipur pratapunivessity.in
- Mangalayatan University Aligarh. mangaloyatam.edu .
- Amity University amity.edu
- Jaipur University jnujaipur.ac.in
- Manipur University manipur.edu .
- A B E S. Ghaziabad (U.P.) abecindia.com
- Krishna institute of Eng. And Tech Gaziabad kiet,edu
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad. www.iiita.ac.in/
- Indian Inst of Information Tech & Managt, Gwalior www.iiitm.ac.in/
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore www.iisc.ernet.in/
- Anna University, Chennai www.annauniv.edu
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Pilani, www.bits-pilani.ac.in
- Haldia Institute of Technology Haldia www.hithaldia.in
- Netaji Subhash Engineering College, Garia www.nsecollege.org/
- Institute of Jute Technology, Kolkata www.ijtindia.org
- Lingaya’s Inst of Managt & Tech, Faridabad www.lgimt.org
- JSS Academic of Tech Educa, NOIDA www.jssaten.ac.in/
- IEC College of Engg. and Tech, NOIDA www.iec.edu.in/
- Noorul Islam College of Engg, Kanyakumari www.niuniv.com/
- Koneru Lakshmaiah Colle of Engg., Guntur www.kluniversity.in/
- Acharya Institute of Technology, Bangalore www.acharya.ac.in
- Dayananda Sagar Coll of Engg, Bangalore www.dayanandasagar.edu/
- JSS Academy of Technical Education, Bangalore www.jssateb.ac.in/
- PES College of Engineering, Mandaya www.pescemandya.org
- SJ College of Engineering, Mysore www.sjcemysore.org/
- Dr. D. Y. Patil College of Engineering, Pune www.dypic.in
- Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Pune www.mitpune.com
- Yashwant Rao Chavan College of Engin, Nagpur www.ycce.edu
- STE Society’s College of Engineering, Pune www.sinhgad.edu/
- Pune Institute of Computer Technology, Pune www.pict.edu
Below is a list of the top 5 colleges in the US offering Mechanical Engineering.
- University of Arizona www.arizona.edu
- Arizona State University www.asu.edu
- San Diego State University www.sdsu.edu
- Michigan State University www.msu.edu
- St. John University– New York City www.stjohns.edu