Mine Engineering is a special type of engineering that deals safe and economically sound mining of each type of mines. The two primary types of mine are underground mines and open-pit mines. Minerals that exist mostly underground like coal, gold etc, are generally recovered using the underground mining process. Minerals are produced from within a naturally occurring environment so without disturbance of the environment production minerals is not possible. A mining engineer is responsible for safe and economically sound development of mines and other surface and underground operations without effecting of these structures on their surrounding environment with the help of their technical knowledge and management skills. It is must to take certificate with Degree in Mining and Petroleum from The Director General of Mines and Safety, Dhanbad.
- Diploma in engineering –3 year diploma course in Mining Engineering.
- E/ B.Tech – 4 year degree course in Mining Engineering.
- E/M.Tech – 2 year master degree course in Mining Engineering.
For diploma in engineering minimum qualification is 10th class examination with at least 50% marks. Various polytechnics offer diploma in various branches of engineering.
Minimum qualification for bachelor degree course (B.E. or B.Tech) is to pass 12 class board examination with at least 50% marks (60% for IITs) in the science stream with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. Diploma holders in Mine engineering can also get direct admission into second year of Mine engineering.
Minimum qualification for master degree course (M.E. or M.Tech) is the bachelor degree program in Mine engineering is required.
Mod of Admission
An entrance examination JEEMAIN is conducted by CBSE every year for admission in B. E. / B. Tech and B.Arch in all IITs and NIITs located all over the country. For more see www.cbse.nic.in or www.jeemain.nic.in . States are conducted separate entrance examinations for admission to the colleges situated in that state.
Career options are open of mining engineering in both private and government companies. A candidate can work as a Consultant in the areas of Mine Planning, Mining Investment Analyst, Mine Ventilation engineer, Petroleum Engineer, Operations, Production Manager in Surface mines, Underground coalmines, Mine Manager, Underground metalliferous mine etc. There are most jobs in India in mining engineering are with government and public sector organizations like Geological Survey of India, Neyvelli Lignite Corporation, Coal India Ltd, The Indian Bureau of Mines, IPCL, ONGC etc. A candidate can also go into teaching and research in this field.
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad ismdhanbad.ac.in
- Regional Engineering College, Rourkela nitrkl.ac.in
- Orissa School O Mining, Keonjhar osme.net.in
- Guru Ghasidas Univ, Govt. Engineering College, Bilaspur ggu.ac.in
- Banaras Hindu University, Institute of Technology Varanasi – itbhu.ac.in
- Vinobha Bhave University Bihar Institute of Technology, bitsindri.ac.in
- Bengal Engineering College, Howrah- becs.ac.in
- Vivesvaraya Regional Engineering College, Nagpur vnit.ac.in
- Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Pune mitpune.com
- Nagpur University, Chandrapur Engineering College, gcoec.ac.in
- College of Technology & Engineering, Udaipur ctae.ac.in
- Southern Illinois University Carbondale, siu.edu
- University of Alaska – Fairbanks, uaf.edu
- Missouri University of Science and Technology mst.edu
- New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology nmt.edu
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology sdsmt.edu